Thursday 3 April 2014

Jermaine Anderson Talks Canadian Ballers, Steve Nash, Team Canada & More

Home / Fame TV Interviews / Fame TV Interview: Jermaine Anderson Talks Canadian Ballers, Steve Nash, Team Canada & More


kkk


Fame TV Interview: Jermaine Anderson Talks Canadian Ballers, Steve Nash, Team Canada & More


(Fame Television) Jermaine Anderson is the one of the most experienced members of Team Canada’s Senior Men’s National Team. His career has taken him from Eastern Commerce in Toronto to Fordham University in New York to playing professionally in Germany, Russia and Croatia. He gets his chance to play against some of the best players in the world in FIBA competitions on Team Canada. Anderson has played his role in the growing rise of popularity of basketball in Canada over the last decade plus and sees no reason why we can’t be among the world’s best in the near future. He took some time out with Fame Television to discuss his life and career, some of our country’s up and coming talent and much more.
Fame Television: When did you first start playing basketball?
Jermaine Anderson: I first starting playing at around 5 or 6 years old. I used to watch my cousins Chris and Garnett play in Downsview Park. I would follow them everyday outside and I would shoot either before or after they finished playing. I fell in love with the game at an early age.
Fame Television: Who was your inspiration growing up?
Jermaine Anderson: My inspiration growing up besides my cousins were my grandparents. They took me in at a young age and instilled in me life long values that I cherish to this day. My grandfather loved to work and my grandmother was his support system. My father was never around, but they made sure I never wanted or needed anything.
Fame Television: When did you know you could play professionally?
Jermaine Anderson: I can’t say there was a specific point in my life when I thought I could become a pro. My childhood dream was to make the NBA but my thought process was always short term. From making sure I did everything possible to make a team, playing Division 1, National team, whatever the objective was at that point in time. When I signed my first contract in Germany I didn’t know what to expect, but I was so thankful and blessed that I was able to get a degree and make a living playing the game I love. Which I know is definitely a blessing from God.
Fame Television: What are your thoughts on more and more kids going to the U.S. to play high school ball?
Jermaine Anderson: I think its good and bad. Good that kids are able to get more exposure, coaching, and competition. And I feel it’s helped guys like Cory (Joseph), Tristan (Thompson), and (Anthony) Bennett get into the NBA. Its bad that guys feel that they have to leave to get a good opportunity. In my opinion, this shows that there isn’t much trust in the coaching at the amateur level and that the competition isn’t strong enough for a young player to develop. Until high school coaches are compensated and scholarships are given at the university level, it will be hard to develop players and keep them at home.
Fame Television: What was the adjustment like for you, moving to play in the United States?
Jermaine Anderson: The biggest adjustment was starting all over again. In my last year of high school I won an OFSAA championship and was ranked the 2nd best player in the country behind Denham Brown. But none of that mattered, I was just another freshman. I had to gain the respect of my teammates and coaches every single day, especially being from Canada. At that point in time Canadians didn’t get the respect that we’re starting to get now.
kkkFame Television: How do you think your career could have been different if there was the level of awareness and interest in basketball in Canada that exists today?
Jermaine Anderson: Its hard to say how it would have been different or if I would have had more success. I’m blessed and thankful with all that God has given me at this point in my career. Not having that exposure helped me to work that much harder and kept me humble and hungry. For the guys who stayed in Canada we had one month every summer to show that we could play with the best. Every AAU (Amateur Athletic Union) tournament we played in was a make or break situation, which I believe made us stronger mentally.
Fame Television: You played at Fordham, what are your thoughts on the Atlantic 10 Conference getting 6 teams in the NCAA Tournament?
Jermaine Anderson: It’s great to see that Atlantic 10 with multiple teams in this years tournament. The conference continues to get stronger every year and it was a privilege to have played in the A10.
Fame Television: What were the main differences between moving to the U.S. play college ball and moving to Europe to play professionally?
Jermaine Anderson: The difference between the NCAA and FIBA basketball is night and day. I went to university in New York so it was like being at home. My coach Derrick Whittenburg was tough on me, but he treated me like a
son and wanted to see me succeed on and off the basketball court. In college my team was like a family and we took care of one another. As college athletes the majority of us were broke, away from home, and had each others back regardless of the situation . As a pro overseas it is completely different. We’re far from home, (6 hr time difference est) usually isolated, and there is a language barrier. As a pro its all business, the majority of people don’t care about how you’re feeling or your well being. Its all about winning and producing. You’re judged based off your team record and performance. The game is a lot faster than the college game, much more physical, and the players are a lot smarter. As a point guard I had to adapt and learn quickly to all the changes on and off the court.
Fame Television: You’ve been playing for Team Canada for 8 years, what does that mean to you?
Jermaine Anderson: It means everything to me to have been able to have a Canada jersey across my chest. I have been able to travel the world and to play against some of the best players and teams in the world. As a basketball player there isn’t much more that I could ask for. Coach (Leo) Rautins always said “there are 3 ways you can represent your country, either through war, politics or sports.” And I thank God I was able to represent my country at some level.
Fame Television: You are one of the most experienced players on Team Canada, how would you define your role as a player and as a leader?
Jermaine Anderson: My role last summer was more so to help the younger players mentally and to help prepare them for international play. The mental grind of the tournament, the hostile environments, and tactics that other players will use to frustrate them etc. As a player my job was to back up CJ (Cory Joseph) and to do whatever coach (Jay) Triano required of me for that particular game. Even though my role changed, my goals for the team and passion remained the same.
Fame Television: How close do you think Canada is to being one of the top team in International basketball?
Jermaine Anderson: I think we’re very close. We have the talent and most importantly the younger guys are eager to play. At times it was a struggle to get some of the top players to come to camp. Now that there’s that pride of wanting to play I feel the only thing that is lacking is chemistry and experience. Once coach (Jay) Triano and the staff get a core group of young players together for a period of time I believe the sky is the limit. It’s not going to happen over night but as long as they’re committed, play for one another, and see the bigger picture there is no reason why Canada basketball shouldn’t be standing on a podium in the near future.
Fame Television: You mentioned Cory Joseph, as an experienced point guard on Team Canada, who do you see eventually coming up to play the position (Point Guard) for the National team?
Jermaine Anderson: There is so much young talent its hard to say. It all depends on the style of play the coaching staff decides. But from who I’ve seen on their college teams and in national team camps, my short list would be Tyler Ennis, Kevin Pangos, Junior Cadougan, and Olivier Hanlan. The good thing is the coaching staff will have a lot of very good options to choose from.
Fame Television: How close of an eye do you keep on Canada’s up and coming basketball talent?
Jermaine Anderson: I’ve been watching the NCAA tournament every chance I get. A lot of these guys I know personally and even if I don’t I still want them to succeed and do well. I been up the past few days really late watching all the Canadian talent. The best thing about the tournament is that in almost every game there’s a Canadian to watch. Which makes it that much more exciting.
kkkFame Television: One of those Canadians has been Andrew Wiggins. He came in with a lot of hype, but his team, Kansas, was eliminated earlier than expected, how would you assess his season compared to the massive expectations placed upon him?
Jermaine Anderson: Me personally I think he had a very good year. Anytime a Freshman can average 17 points per game and 6 rebounds per game in a power conference there’s not much that could be said. But people are only going to talk about his last game against Stanford and the fact he didn’t lead his team to the Final Four. It’s just the reality of his situation, because of all the hype surrounding him since high school. He has ups and downs, emotions, and weaknesses just like any other college freshman. He also has some holes in his game that he has to fill, but with his God given ability and hard work he will be a future NBA All-Star and first team All Defense player in my opinion.
Fame Television: There are more Canadians playing in the NCAA and professionally than ever before, what are your thoughts on the growth of the game in this country?
Jermaine Anderson: It’s absolutely amazing that more kids from Canada are able to accomplish their dreams through the game of basketball. I think the Toronto Raptors have been a major influence. I know they have been in my life because I was able to meet and play one-on-one against Isiah Thomas at the first ever Raptors camp. The game of basketball is growing world wide and Canada is a direct reflection of that global growth. I also believe it’s our duty (those who have made it post-secondary/pro) to help the younger kids in our respective communities who have the same goals and dreams. If we continue to do this and have a hands on approach the game will continue to grow at a much faster pace.
Fame Television: One of the players that is generally thought of as being one of the biggest reasons for the growth of the sport in Canada is Steve Nash, what has he meant to your career?
Jermaine Anderson: Steve has meant so much to me, not only because of his individual accomplishments as a player but more so because of his character. I had the opportunity to meet Steve in 2003 during his last year with the national team. I was invited to take part in the camp thanks to coach (Jay) Triano, and I had the opportunity to play against him and workout with him and the team daily as they prepared for the Olympic qualifiers in Puerto Rico. I remember asking him questions every single day, (now that I think about it, I was probably very annoying) but he answered every question as if I asked one for the first time. He never once got upset or brushed me off with a short answer. The answers to those questions I asked over 10 years ago are still ingrained in my mind and have helped me tremendously to this point in my career. When I see Steve now I don’t know what to ask, I think I used up all my questions in 2003 (laughs). All jokes aside he is still the same person after winning two MVP’s, and I know he is doing everything to make sure Canada Basketball is in the best position to succeed moving forward.
Fame Television: How did you get the nickname “Rock”?
Jermaine Anderson: A childhood friend of mine named Junior Reid gave me the nick name. In grade 9 when we first met he asked me what my nickname was. When I told him I didn’t have one, he said “you always have a ball in your hand, you’re cut up, and veiny, your nickname is Rock.” At first I said Jermaine is cool, but he wasn’t having it so stuck with me ever since.
Fame Television: Any last words?
Jermaine Anderson: Keep God first and everything will take care of itself. Thank you, Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment